November 16th and empty Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes have joined forces to become our our next playdate and a special opportunity to serve side by side with our children.
Each year Samaritan's Purse, a international relief organization, collects and distributes Christmas shoeboxes filled with goodies for needy children around the world. Read more about Samaritan's Purse here.
This year you and your child(ren) have an opportunity to be a part of bringing joy to a child across the globe. Here's how:
1. Decide to pack a shoebox or two (we'll provide the box!).
2. Select the type of child you would like to prepare a shoebox(es) for:
1. Boy or Girl
2. Age range: 2-4 or 5-9 or 10-14
3. Purchase goodies for the shoebox. Here are some ideas:
TOYS (small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos,
jump ropes, small Etch A Sketch®, toys that light up or make noise (with
extra batteries), Slinky®, etc.SCHOOL SUPPLIES (pens, pencils and sharpener, crayons or markers,
stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and
picture books, etc.
HYGIENE ITEMS (toothbrush, toothpaste, mild bar soap (in a plastic
bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
OTHER (Hard candy and lollipops (please double bag all candy), mints, gum,
T-shirts, socks, ball caps; sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches,
flashlights (with extra batteries)Come to the November 17 playdate at DBC.
DO NOT INCLUDE: Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snowglobes or glass containers; aerosol cans
***Click here for a handy dandy printable from Samaritans Purse with everything you need to know about packing a shoebox.***
4. Bring your goodies to DBC on November 16** at 10AM and fill up a shoebox.
5. Don't forget $7.00/box for shipping. You can put it directly in your box OR donate online and track your shoebox! If you donate online, you need to do this BEFORE you come on November 16th. They will give you a printable label to affix to your box that will allow you to track the box to its final destination.
6. Don't forget to pray for your shoebox recipient(s).
We will provide: shoeboxes, labels (click on clipart and scroll to find the labels), direction for packing the boxes, coloring sheets (click on clipart and scroll to find the coloring sheet)for inside the boxes, rubberbands for the outside of the boxes, and a snack for all box packers!
**If you cannot attend the November 16 playdate, you can bring your box to the November 9th meeting or get your box to Trisha by November 16th.